As with other major festivals worldwide, there are a number of traditional greetings for Chinese New Year. No doubt your friends, colleagues and family will be exchanging happy greetings, so make sure you know what’s being said!
In this Podcast you will learn:
(1) How to say different greeting for Chinese New Year and other holidays
(2) How to ask about the duration of specific events and holidays
Chinese words and phrases mentioned in this Podcast:
(1) 春节快乐：Happy Spring Chinese Festival
(2) 春节好：Happy Spring Chinese Festival
(3) 新年快乐：Happy New Year (this can be used for both the new year in the western calendar and Chinese New Year)
(4) 圣诞快乐：Merry Christmas
(5) 感恩节快乐：Happy Thanksgiving
(6) 身体健康：Wish you good health (usually say this to the older generation, your parents, grandparents, in-laws etc)
(7) 万事如意：may all your hopes be fulfilled
(8) 猴年：Year of the Monkey
(9) 猴年大吉：Best of luck to you in the year of the Monkey
(10) 春节一共几天：How long is the Spring Festival?
Grammar notes: （ ） 一共几天is a useful phrase to ask about the duration of holidays, events etc.
Eg. 春节一共几天：How many days are there in the Spring Festival? 奥运会一共几天：How long is the Olympic Games?
(11) 春节一共15天；The Spring Festival lasts 15 days
(12) 你春节一般怎么过？ What do you usually do during the Spring Festival? Grammar notes: ( )一般怎么过 is a useful expression to ask what you do during holidays or specific periods Eg. (你春节)一般怎么过？What do you usually do during the Spring Festival? (你周末)一般怎么过？What do you usually do during weekends?
(13) 我一般回去看爸妈：I usually visit my parents
(14) 一般：in general, usually
Mandarin Chinese learning resources we recommend:
Using Italki, a unique system of learning Mandarin Chinese where you interact with real teachers, is widely recognised as an effective way to learn a new language! You’ll make more progress and learn how native Chinese speakers really speak. Plus, Italki is more affordable than offline tutors, offline schools and software, and is convenient to use at your own pace and place!
Keats Chinese School, which was founded in 2004, is one of the top Mandarin Chinese language schools in China, offering both one-on-one immersion Mandarin courses and small group Chinese classes. Located in Kunming, Keats develops personalised exercises and materials for students to meet their learning goals and requirements and can arrange a student visa for its 16 week course.