Don’t be caught out when you meet someone new and want to know their name—but don’t know how to ask. Knowing the basic greetings are very important if you seriously want to progress as a student of Chinese.
In this Podcast you will learn:
1. How to ask other people’s names
2. How to tell people your name
3. On what occasions people will ask your last name instead of your full name
Chinese words and phrases mentioned in this Podcast:
1. 你叫什么名字？：What is your name?
2. 我叫（你的名字）：My name is（your name）
3. 请问你（您）贵姓：Your last name, please?
4. 免贵姓()：My last name is（）－formal way
5. 我姓(): My last name is () – casual way Chinese cultural note: it’s common on occasions such as in formal receptions for people to just ask your last name in Chinese instead of your full name, to be polite.
Mandarin Chinese learning resources we recommend:
Using Italki, a unique system of learning Mandarin Chinese where you interact with real teachers, is widely recognised as an effective way to learn a new language! You’ll make more progress and learn how native Chinese speakers really speak. Plus, Italki is more affordable than offline tutors, offline schools and software, and is convenient to use at your own pace and place!
Keats Chinese School, which was founded in 2004, is one of the top Mandarin Chinese language schools in China, offering both one-on-one immersion Mandarin courses and small group Chinese classes. Located in Kunming, Keats develops personalised exercises and materials for students to meet their learning goals and requirements and can arrange a student visa for its 16 week course.