Shopping is the favourite pastime of many people. After all, there are so many nice things to buy in China. So, make sure you know how to ask about items for sale, their prices and, of course, if the shopkeeper can reduce their prices for you…
In this Podcast, you will learn:
1) Some useful phrases to use when you shop in China
2) How to bargain in Chinese
3) How to talk about different payment methods in Chinese
Chinese words and phrases mentioned in this Podcast:
1) 东西：things, items
3) 随便：casual, random
4) 我随便看看：I am just looking around—this is a useful phrase to use if you want the shop assistant to leave you to browse alone
5) 你想买什么：What would you like to buy?
6) 我想买：I want to buy… Eg: 我想买衣服：I want to buy some clothes
7) 试衣间：Changing room
9) 试衣间在哪里：Where is the changing room?
Grammar note: ＊＊）在哪里？is a useful phrase to ask about where somebody or something is.
For example,妈妈在哪里: Where is mother?
洗手间在哪里： Where is the washroom?
10) 打折吗?：Any discount?
11) 能便宜点吗？Can the price be a bit lower?
12) 我能付信用卡吗? Can I pay by credit card?
14) 只能用现金：Cash only
Cultural note: Bargaining is common in China in small or local shops, although the quality varies in such shops. Also, many small shops do not accept credit cards, so it’s wise to ask before making payment.